Thursday, November 30, 2017

Humacao and Ceiba generator status

Yesterday, 11/29/17, I visited the Humacao plant. This consists of 2 25 MW (I think) gas turbines. One of them was running, though judging by the heat plume at somewhat less than full capacity. The other was not. I had always understood these to be 25MW but talking to someone at the site I was told that they were only 20MW each and that they were diesels. They are obviously not diesels and the guy first tried to tell me they were "20 megabyte" capacity so I am not sure I got the straight story.

They were also in the process of installing a new generator. That was also "20 megabytes" I am guessing from appearance that
it is a gas turbine.
















The Ceiba plant is just down the road from me and I understand it to be 2 25MW gas turbines running on diesel fuel. It took about a month after the hurricane to fire up the first unit. The second one, I am informed, was inoperable. It was finally repaired and placed in service last week. When I drove by yesterday, both were running

3 weeks ago I was speaking with someone from Manati who told me at that time that the gas turbines (2 @25MW each) were not running. They did not know if they were inoperable or what the reason for being off was.

3 comments:

  1. Do you know who is funding the cost of Diesel? Is it FEMA?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard fema but don't know for sure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I drove past the a couple hours ago on my way to humacao. Still screaming away

      Delete